New Steve Augeri Interview – by JourneyRock UK

JRUK – We are so pleased to be able to get more Tall Stories music Steve – did you always plan to revisit those lost songs left in the can?

Steve – Yes, I did one way or another. I always felt we left some really good songs and performances on those tapes back when the band was still intact the first time. So either as Tall Stories or some other incarnation be it a solo venture or a brand new band. The longer you stick around the more songs you acquire thru the years. It’s like a sock drawer. Some time you need to get in there and pair off the strays and reincorporate them back into your wardrobe. In this case it was that Sunday suit that never made it out of the closet until now and personally, I always liked the way it fit.

JRUK – Is Tall Stories a venture that is simply unfinished business or is it something you see as another long term project?

Steve – I’m afraid this is an ongoing mystery that still hasn’t played out yet. Perhaps I’m not as good a self manager than I thought I might be so things are taking a bit longer to fall into place while I’m entirely at the helm so to speak. Back in the day it was Jack that used to take care of the majority of the day to day business and I used to be the flighty lead singer with his head in the clouds most of the times. Now I’m steering the ship and learning as I go. It’s an eye opener if nothing else. It’s a hell of a time to grow up and start taking responsibility for yourself, but, better late than never. So, to answer your question…yes and I’d like it to be.

JRUK – After your long tenure with Journey have you mentally set a limit on touring? The mighty monster that organizes the tours for such a big band is timed and every minute detail is covered, is that something you would want to have more control of?

It’s the old adage, “If I knew then what I know now”. But, we don’t. And you learn as you go. You do start to notice signs along the way and you take note. Instead you say to yourself, I’ll just buck up a little more and prepare a little more and work harder at it. There are times when you speak up,20but, there’s a really important show and that will lead to a bigger tour and it’s “all for one and one for all”. It’s a band. You work for the community. In essence and in nearly every sense of the word, it’s a “family”. You eat sleep and breath Rock and Roll for now less than 3 to 4 months at a time. 5 shows a week. 2 1/2 hours a night. Add minimum 30 to 50 additional people on the payroll or the “family” and you don’t speak up as much as you know you really
should…and, well the next thing you know it you’re lying in a hospital bed staring at the ceiling wondering how did I let this happen? That’s what it finally took to cancel the first show while I was singing with the band. It was a huge festival in Chile. Without even getting into what put me there in the first place, I will tell you it made me prioritise my life and remind me who my real family was and that I needed to get healthy for them. My wife and my son. I’m happy to report that I’m feeling 99% better nowadays and working on the other 1%.

Would I change a thing, sure. But, life takes its turns when it wants to. Lefts, rights then lefts again. We don’t know what’s going to meet us around that next curve. Enjoy it. Savour it. Have fun while you can. Fall in love along the way if you’re lucky. I consider myself very fortunate to have had the opportunity and to have achieved all that I have while singing and working with the band. I don’t know if I’d still be swinging a hammer necessarily but, it that would have been a strong possibility. (By the way I enjoy swinging a hammer).

It’s brought me to several continents, allowed me perform to thousands of people and express myself through my art form and put a roof over my head and feed my family at the same time. It’s great work if you can get it. Just ask Mr. Pineda, who by the way, I think is doing an incredible job. Arnel, you’ve got it hands down and with your eyes closed. Do take care of yourself, my man.

Read the whole interview Journey Rock – The UK site for information and news on the Journey: The worlds greatest stadium rock act.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: